PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2008, 15:08
bubblesuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few things

To try and summarise as much as possible in one post, I hope that this will answer many of the questions that some of you have about who I am, what I feel about TVOC and 558 specifically.

Firstly, I am a Vulcan to the Sky Club member and a regular contributor on the Club Forum. I have my own personal association with 558 herself which goes back some years and I am completely disconnected with TVOC in every way, shape and form. This itself is one of the reasons that I have always been one of 558’s biggest fans.

The email campaign
This idea was NOT that of TVOC or the Trust. In fact, all that TVOC had mentioned to ANYONE 11 days ago was the “Mayday Mayday” message on the homepage of www.tvoc.co.uk. At no time did TVOC ask anyone on the forum for ANYTHING but money – as usual.

One Club/forum member, using their own initiative, approached TVOC with the idea that an existing database that they held might be useful as a means of attracting media attention for the project’s current situation. This idea was APPROVED by TVOC and the Club/forum member, whose idea it was wrote the email and forwarded it to TVOC who then sent it out to the 6,000+ names on their database, without changing one single word of the Club member’s original.

Whilst this action has been labelled as ‘amateurish’ and ‘ridiculous’ on other forums, it can be proved, beyond doubt, that it had the desired effect; if you compare the actual wording of the original email to that of the Parliamentary EDM 1014, you can see that the latter could ONLY have come about as a result.

Similarly, the email was copied VERBATIM and used as the letter to the Daily Mail; this is further proof of the campaigns effectiveness. The fact that TVOC has today updated their webpage with the announcement that, “ David Taylor, MP for North West Leicestershire, presented the EDM to Harriet Harman ( Lord Privy Seal, House of Commons,) in parliament yesterday.” Goes a long way to demonstrate how effective this initial email campaign has been. Is can be argued that without the initiative of the Club (not TVOC), none of this would have occurred at all and 558’s future would stand little chance.
What I think is vital to point out is that none of this was either at the instigation of TVOC, nor at the request of TVOC. It was 100% the hard work of very many Club and forum members. What the vast majority of these people feel however is that, whilst it was urgent that something be done to raise NATIONAL awareness, they (including me) feel that the campaign to raise funds also, by default, raises money to pay the salaries of certain members of TVOC staff whose job we have effectively done for them!

As 558’s most loyal supporters, we are keen to ensure that TVOC do not rest back on their laurels and believe that the success of their fundraising campaign was of their own doing; the very second that they think that, it will only be a matter of time before they come running to us again asking for yet more money. As a loyal group of supporters of the aeroplane herself, very very few hold the same ‘love’ for TVOC themselves, particularly the way that are CURRENTLY running the project.

I know that it appears i have defended T.V.O.C but my words weresimply so that we may all witness 558’s return to display this year and for the next 10 to 15 years. As it stands, very few believe that the current TVOC management have the necessary skills to deliver that. We all continue to work very hard to raise awareness of 558 to the Nation that owns her, but we will NOT allow TVOC to take credit for actions that they have clearly demonstrated they are incapable of even thinking of let alone putting into practice.

I shall continue to post on here as well as other places, simply to enable the wider world to know more about what is going on with 558 than TVOC bother to tell anyone. It is not MY job to give out information or to defend TVOC – it is theirs and yet they appear to have done nothing about it. It IS my job however to do everything in my power to protect and preserve 558 herself, simply because I am just one of 60 million people in the UK that owns her!