PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2008, 12:17
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't disagree with any of the stuff that has been said, but as I keep saying, it completely misses the point! It's just repetition and duplication on a grand scale, none of which does anything to solve that problem. We can slag-off TVOC forever but it achieves nothing. Surely, everything negative which can be said has been said by now, so surely it's not about TVOC's failings, it's about what happens now?

It's fine to say that lots of people are doing their best to generate interest, blah, blah, but it's achieving nothing. There is absolutely no point in different campaigns, petitions or anything else, when nobody takes any notice of them. Obviously, in the finanl analysis, serious people will only deal with the people who are actually handling the project - TVOC, and everything else, no matter how well-intentioned, will be regarded as irrelevant.

So, as I keep saying, the only thing any of us can do, is to put pressure on TVOC to provide a clear and detailed account of where all the money has been spent (on what, and why, and on who, and why), and precisely what is needed from here onwards. Evidently, TVOC have no intention of doing this, so the only way we could make this happen is to put pressure on HLF - they have a big interest in the project, and they can certainly force TVOC to explain their circumstances. In my opinion, it is the only way that TVOC will ever stop their secretive and confusing activities.

But HLF is unlikely to show any interest in getting involved unless someone with some political clout, some media influence or some legal expertise, effectively forces (or embarrasses) HLF into doing something. As I keep saying, there must be someone (or more than one person) out in Pprune-land, who could do this. I think this is what we should be looking for as I'm convinced it's the only way that the project can be saved. I don't accept for a second that fund-raising is going to solve anything, and given that sponsorship hasn't come-forward (and probably never will, if TVOC are perceived as being unprofessional), then the only solution will be to convince HLF that having spent so much on the project, they'd be very foolish not to spend a bit more to get the aircraft into the air.

All the whining and bitching is great for venting frustration but it achieves nothing, and never will. Likewise, petitions, letters to MP's, newspaper stories etc., are all well-intentioned but again, they will achieve nothing. There's only one way that the project can be saved as far as I can see, and that is by following the route I've mentioned. Sadly though, I just don't think it's going to happen because there are far too many people saying far too much, asking too many questions, and embarking on too many ill-conceived "rescue plans" all of which seem very worthy, but are ultimately pointless and counter-productive, because they will be ignored, and TVOC will simply carry-on regardless. They will keep carrying-on, paying no attention to anybody, until someone who actually has some influence and power, steps-in and stops them. Who? Well HLF of course, they're the only hope. And HLF will do nothing unless someone pressures them into doing something. Like I said before, much as it saddens me, I think the project's doomed unless there's a miracle very soon.