PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9 Hurt in Air Transat Emergency Landing in Azores
Old 27th Aug 2001, 16:01
The Guvnor

Cool

At the risk of getting firebombed again I'd just like to say that this incident has illustrated perfectly a number of the observations and comments made in the Airline pilots 'lack skills to handle emergencies' thread.

On the one hand, it has shown that when the unexpected - and untrained for - happens then there are pilots that do an exemplary job in getting the aircraft down in one piece. Capt Robert Piché did it - but he was also a bush pilot with 20 years of experience on DC6s.

On the other hand, it also confirms what I had said on the thread - that exceptional piloting skills (such as those of a bush pilot) which only come from experience are required. This thread has also thrown up that few, if any, airlines actually train their crews for a double engine failure.

Now, let's take this scenario. Imagine, say, a UK A330 where both pilots have come up the pure airliner route - CAP509 and then straight into an airline environment. They haven't received any training at all for a double flameout. We then have the Air Transat situation happen. Could they get the aircraft down?

I'd like to think so - but I wouldn't bet on it. Would you?