PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cargo
Thread: SIA Cargo
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2008, 02:41
BANANASBANANAS

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts
There are several SIA Cargo threads buried away in Prune. But to summarise:

DEC, Average option if it suits your personal circumstances. If you plan on commuting it can add to the stress levels as the amount of delay and disruption can badly impact your OFF days and, thereby, your travel plans to get back to your family.

Housing and Education allowance are inadequate and falling further behind actual costs. Company shows no indication of providing a realistic increase and ALPAS Cargo dont appear interested in addressing expat only issues. Expats in ALPA S have no voting rights - draw your own conclusions. Only 32 days Annual Leave and staff travel is non existant.

As an F/O I would not recommend SIA Cargo. There is no guarantee whatsoever of a command and to even be considered you will have to go onto a local contract (for 2 years) and give up Housing and Education allowances. Remember - All this, just to be 'considered'. That gives the company total control over your life - which is exactly how they want it of course. Advice for any F/O considering SIA Cargo - Go to the sandpit. Quicker command, more money.

On the good side, well, Singapore is clean and efficient, the Fleet Level management guys are fine and do what they can to make life bearable. The aircraft are great and the base check scenario has been the same since Pontious was a pilot. Profit share has been good for the past couple of years but has invariably had to be used to subsidise Housing and Education costs.

Mrs Bananas likes Singapore and I like the actual flying so we will probably hang around a bit longer. Very demoralising to see some of the guys I joined with already digging their escape tunnels though.