PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help with locating a maths book for pre-assessment revision
Old 28th Feb 2008, 22:36
docash1983

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with locating a maths book for pre-assessment revision

Hi Guys and Girls,

Firstly I apologise for a thread which has already been done to death. However, a couple of weeks ago I was browsing through the site and viewed a discussion about sprucing up on the old pre-assessment maths. There was one Australian mathematician (his name began with an “S” I believe), mentioned by someone on here who compared this gentleman’s book to Trachenburg. I managed to follow the link to this Guy’s book but that has disappeared from my computer, and cannot find the thread anywhere despite numerous searches. What I do remember from the few pages I accessed online was a method of long multiplication, by using nothing but the following method:

96 x 96

1st step looking at the numbers on the right of each number (the 6;s) what is missing to make the numbers upto 10 so that’s 4 here; so it looks like this:

96 x 96
4 x 4

2nd step times these together 4x4 = 16 these make the first two numbers

3rd step deduct the 4 beneath the right hand number from the top left hand number ‘96’ here to give you your second set of numbers, so:

96 – 4 = 92

Therefore the answer is 9216

However I can’t find the thread anywhere and I really want to get this book. Does anybody know who this guy is who wrote the book and the name of the book? I am sorry for the vague nature of the post, lack of information I have given to go off, and the long winded explanation above.

Many Thanks in Advance

Docash1983