PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9 Hurt in Air Transat Emergency Landing in Azores
Old 27th Aug 2001, 13:21
Tan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Having not being there, I will not speculate on what happened, even if it appears to be painfully obvious to some..

I believe that MasterGreen posted an excellent article on the 767 "Double Hush" on the tech forum a while back. My major's (AC) training department and check pilots always made sure that the troops were unofficially exposed in the simulator to the unlikely event of a total engine failure on the Boeing types.

I never saw the same training on the Airbus (320/340) as I believe that we were too immersed in learning the complicated automatics then in flying the aircraft. There never seemed to be enough time left over in the simulator sessions to practice the all engine out situation, which was a pity.

If the TA pilots were never exposed in the simulator to such a event, then in IMHO they performed a awesome job. It appears that the crew were able to step out of the "SOP box", which is unusual in its self, and really show the world how to do it...Good show.

I'm just glad that it was them and not me, for doing it in the simulator is one thing, but actually having to do it for real, is another thing..

What ever the circumstances turn out to be, the pilot's did an EXCELLENT job.