PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2008, 17:05
gareth herts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've posted a great deal about this on UKAR recently but feel it's about time to have my say here!

The sooner the powers that be at TVOC realise that only a clear statement clarifying exactly what the current situation is the better.

The current situation is serving only to breed mistrust and a loss of confidence in their ability to see this project through to its natural conclusion of seeing 558 in the air throughout the airshow season, for this year and years to come.

This past few weeks have seen numerous rumours, arguments, counter arguments and scandal thrown around on the subject of 558, all as a result of their almost complete lack of communication and transparency.

Most of us that support the project understand that complete transparency is nigh on impossible for any business - but significant numbers of people have recently contacted TVOC to ask questions, offer professional expertise with regards to PR and sponsorship and, in some cases, contribute with fundraising ideas. The vast majority of these people have received no response - not even a "no thanks". One guy even had a guarantee of regular funding from a group he had worked to get together and TVOC never even bothered to send him the paperwork he needed to get the money to them!

Whatever the truth behind the current situation, and it will all come out eventually, the current brick wall behind which they "appear" to be hiding does them no favours at all. Aviation enthusiasts are now doubting the viability of the project, those who have offered professional help (yes, including me) are tired of offering and the whole thing is beginning to look like a farce I'm afraid. Only today I have seen yet another "new" figure for 558's monthly upkeep (about the fourth different one that has been stated) and Dr Pleming has been quoted from RAF News as saying that "her immediate prospects look dire".

Any potential sponsors, if there are any, who are keeping a close eye on the project, must be wondering what on earth they might be letting themselves in for. Will they pay up for sponsorship rights and then be asked to put their hands in their pockets again and again? Does the management have a firm grip on the project or is it all going to go belly-up?

PR is all about perception and right now the perception of TVOC is not a positive one. I sincerely hope that can be changed and that the goal is achieved, but I don't believe it will happen unless they make some positive move with regards to communication and openess.

Gareth

Last edited by gareth herts; 28th Feb 2008 at 17:10. Reason: Amended quote for accuracy