PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accident report A05H0002 Air France Flight 358
Old 28th Feb 2008, 09:13
grizzled

Received 79 Likes on 14 Posts
Air France 358

Serpilot10:

First, let me say that I agree with you entirely regarding the importance and significance of CVR's (and all other relevant recordings for that matter). Having said that, here is the bad news: Canada does not currently endorse that philosophy, as outlined in ICAO Annex 13. The Air France accident (which, sadly, I am intimately familiar with) is no different than any other investigation by the Canadian TSB: They, as a matter of policy, never release CVR data (or even extracts or partial transcripts).

And that isn’t the worst part . . . Since the ANS system was privatised in Canada in 1996, no one ever gets to hear ATC tapes, or see ATC radar tapes, or any other such data because it is the property of Nav Canada. So far Nav Canada has been successful in defending the statutes that give them that ownership, and in their continued refusal to share any of that data. Believe it or not, the Canadian TSB sometimes cannot get Nav Canada to supply them with all the data they request and require. The TSB have even gone to court to attempt to compel Nav Canada to release information to them.

Don’t get me going on the whole “privatised ATC” question . . .

Can I ask what your specific interest is in this particular accident or CVR? Maybe I can be of some help . . .