PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour Vision and Class 1
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2001, 21:51
anengineer

For further information, this is at http://www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/jar/jar.fcl.3.225.htm

JAR-FCL 3.225 Colour Perception

Date: December 1, 2000

(a) Normal colour perception is defined as the ability to pass the Ishihara test or to pass Nagel's anomaloscope as a normal trichromate (see paragraph 1 Appendix 14 to Subpart B).

(b) An applicant shall have normal perception of colours or be colour safe. Applicants who fail Ishihara's test shall be assessed as colour safe if they pass extensive testing with methods acceptable to the AMS (anomaloscopy or colour lanterns - see paragraph 2 Appendix 14 to Subpart B).

(c) An applicant who fails the acceptable colour perception tests is to be considered colour unsafe and shall be assessed as unfit.

and the "Appendix 14 to Subpart B" (at http://www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/jar/jar.fcl.3.apx.b.c.14.htm says....

Appendix 14 to Subparts B and C Colour Perception

Date: December 1, 2000

(See JAR-FCL 3.225 and 3.345)

1 The Ishihara test (24 plate version) is to be considered passed if all plates are identified correctly without uncertainty or hesitation (less than 3 seconds per plate). For lighting conditions see the JAA Manual of Civil Aviation Medicine.

2 Those failing the Ishihara test shall be examined either by:

(a) Anomaloscopy (Nagel or equivalent). This test is considered passed if the colour match is trichromatic and the matching range is 4 scale units or less, or by

(b) Lantern testing. This test is considered passed if the applicant passes without error a test with lanterns acceptable to the JAA-FCL Medical Sub-committee such as Holmes Wright, Beynes, or Spectrolux

Right - so, as long as a Class 1 taken in one JAA state is valid in ALL, then we are now no longer restricted to the bloody HW lantern. The regs state two others, the Beynes and the Spectrolux [hadn't heard of that one before !] - with possibly others as well, as the text implies that this is not a definitive list.

I am emailing the JAA-FCL medical subcommittee to try to get a full list of acceptable lanterns. (if I can find their address !).

I am hoping that EU citizens can take a Class 1 in any member state and that it will be valid in any other member state - surely that's part of the whole EU and JAR-FCL harmonisation ethos ?

If the official answer to this is 'no', then, by definition, it would be stating that e.g. the UK regards Germany's testing methods (and subseqently, safety) as substandard. ...surely this would be worth a legal challenge ? (just looking 5 steps ahead ! )

Oh dear.... I am feeling that horrible tingling again.. it's called optimism. Hmmm, every time I've felt that, it's always been followed by disappointment...

p.s. - what is an 'AMS' ???

------------------
"I am safe to fly, this is unjust, it's my dream and damn you, you WILL give me a licence"