PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 9 Hurt in Air Transat Emergency Landing in Azores
Old 26th Aug 2001, 13:25
tunturi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guvnor

I believe my peers have more than made OUR point and so I just want to add one final thought. I am actually slightly hesitant to use the following example because the official report is not yet published, I believe, but I am going to take the gamble.

Swissair MD11, Nova Scotia, smoke/fire internally. It is MY understanding from that which I have so far read that the Captain of that aircraft insisted on dumping fuel to reduce landing weight whilst the Co-pilot urged him to get the aircraft on the ground NOW! IF this is indeed a true reflection of what happened then it may go the whole way to finally answer you and please, please don't grab this as an oppotunity to say that one of the "system monitors" failed, that would just be too crass even for you.

If this turns out to be incorrect then I humbly apologise to everyone for being guilty of that which I normally hate: people quoting "facts" before final reports.