PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stuck pedal landing video and story
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2008, 01:36
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Indeed he did....as both he and the helicopter lived to fly another day.

The stuck left practice is fun....and when one sees how non-eventful it is....takes the fear away.

The way I did it in a Huey was to get lined up to the landing area, set up a shallow approach then roll the throttle right down to the bottom of the green arc and maintain that RPM. We then flew the approach to a very low height off the landing site....say about a foot or so....accept whatever side slip occurs....peer through the side windows.....and decelerate the aircraft very gradually until either the nose comes to a steady position at a hover or just as the nose comes into alignment with the landing surface...gently lower the collective and touch down.....if the nose comes around to the right....meaning you missed it....accelerate and when the nose flops around to the other side....start over if you have room....or do a go around and come back again for another try.

Reducing rotor rpm will help reduce the sideslip in forward flight due to the reduced thrust coming from the slower rotor.

In the method I use....there is no need to jockey the throttle trying to keep the nose straight although one can do that as well but it only complicates things.

I have practiced the same method in every single rotor helicopter I have flown and found that method to work. Granted some were a bit more sensitive than others and aircraft like the BO/BK and 76 made for a real hand dance if flying single pilot.