PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - have low cost operators damaged the industry?
Old 27th Feb 2008, 22:26
Pilotdom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont feel low-cost carriers have ruined the industry. I feel they have improved it massively over the last 10 years or so. Low cost fares have increased passenger numbers and enabled people with lower budgets to travel more often, and to more destiantions than the "bucket and spade" resorts. There is a market for both version of carrier "low-cost" and the so called "full-fare". What it has also brought is choice. Yes Ryanair may advertise £0.01 fares, but I would much rather fly Easyjet and pay a little more. Im also happy to pay "Full-Fare" to fly to destiantions at a time convenient to me, rather than take a "low-cost" flight that may be £150 cheaper but not get me to my destination at a time when convienient to me. Too much diversity can damage an industry. The indusrty at the moment is in a period of rationalisation. Carriers are being taken over, Easy buying GB Airways. Carriers such as Astraeus will have to find a place in the market, at the moment I dont think they, and carriers such as Monarch 'Fit' the industry at the moment, and they need to up there game, both in advertising and schedule/destinations to survive or be bought out by an established "Low-Cost" carriers.