PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay pilot 'sacked for Top Gun stunt'
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2008, 22:25
Bartholomew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronx,

Couldn't have put it better myself... I've taught pre-solo PPL pilots to fly down the runway at 60', 30' 10'..... height perception is an early gain... FOR VISUAL PILOTS!

This is the 777 CP... I'm sure he knew what height he was at, his RA would've told him so, if his FO hadn't (I'm pretty sure he was at the time). Plus... HOW long had he flown this type for? Enough, I think, for them to make him CP?

This is what pilots do people... you all drive cars, we all drive planes! You do yours, we'll do ours. Yes, agreed, management took offense because he didn't ask them first (or so they say), but he wasn't trying to kill people in the process!

Did anyone pull the CVR tapes yet.. are there any stereo-typical rantings being uttered (usually heard at this altitude?) No? Then I guess it was all just good fun then?

Yes, FAR's, blah blah blah's, it happens at this airfield EVERYDAY.... it's not like every CX flight will start and end with a "fly-past", is it?

Get over it, a professional pilot doing a nice-looking fly-past. Case closed.

Kill the media, kill the management's opinion.... a gross over-reaction to a safe piece of flying. If there is a single (flying) person reading this who hasn't done it... ever... better you be the next Pope!