PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay pilot 'sacked for Top Gun stunt'
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2008, 22:06
Bronx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PBL
do you have a view on the wisdom or not of performing such a manoeuvre in the given situation?
I do.
I gave it way back in post #14 and again by inference in #113.
In case I wasn't clear enough --

Sporty but safe.
A big fuss about nothing.

The airline should have said nothing to the press or maybe at most issued a simple statement saying the maneuver was safely executed by a very experienced pilot. That way the vultures from the press move on to their next 'shock expose' and it would have blown over like these things always do.
Firing him was a disgrace. Management pilots are rarely popular so I guess some CX line pilots are happy to see him fired but that don't make it fair.

And there are always folks who'd love to do something themselves who either ain't got the skill or ain't had the opportunity and just love it when some guy who does get's in trouble.

Some around here sound like they're swell pilots - as long as everything goes according to the book.
I'd feel a whole lot safer flying with a guy like that in a sudden emergency than some posters on this thread who sound like they'd still be checking what the Company Ops Manual says when it's too late.