PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2008, 21:11
andrewmcharlton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSM,

Stay calm !

Not everything that was said was confidential far from it. The gist of the discussion was that on advice from professionals they have not been able to fulfill certain statutory filing requirements. The advice that was given to TVOC is obviously confidential but it isn't a question of not having any accounts or being negligent in not filing them.

HLF are fully engaged in the ongoing management of the project and are monitoring everything which is spent and apparently the budgetary forecasts and cashflows.

I have asked HLF and the CC under the FOI to provide copies of minutes, notes, correspondence, applications et al which are not commercially confidential and I will share that with everyone, unedited when I get it. I don't know what the timescales will be but I am happy to keep everyone in the loop.

I didn't get any priviledged access, I don't think so anyway. I just emailed and asked questions and they (Dr Pleming) then called me. Ask and ye shall find. I did previously email in frustration many moons ago when the illustrious Felicity was at the helm and got no response so I suspect there is a change of attitude.

It was clear that none of the TVOC top brass read PPrune and I got the distinct impression that they were unaware of the groundswell of opinion.

It was acknowledged by Dr Pleming that they should be doing better on their communications and he was genuinely interested in learning what the donating public wanted and asked me to let him have thoughts in an email, hence opening it up to everyone.

I criticised the whole lack of accountability, transparency and the pass the hat mentality and suggested some more frank (within whatever legal / confidential limits) and regular updates would go a long way to assuage concerns and transparency as to finances. I was told that subsequent to first flight the budget was much more definable and subject to funding there should be a lot less hidden nasties although they can't be eliminated totally.

Dr Pleming said that he felt that setting smaller reachable financial milestones was important to keep things moving step by step rather than setting a long term "we need £x million" which would turn everyone off and the arrival of any significant sponsors might reduce / vary that and make the next milestones easier, so no need to panic everyone right from the off. I don't agree with that and for the avoidance of doubt I still believe that communications have been massively mismanaged and transparency and frankness with full compliance and disclosure is essential.

I am convinced though that it is worth fighting for and that the lack of accounts etc is not through any neglect of wanton ommission but on professional advice.

We have a line of communication now open and I would hope that if you have ideas of what you want to see and hear let me know and I will pass it all on to see if something can be done to improve things.

I know a couple of you have been kind enough to email me today and chat on the phone, thank you. Any questions you want asked, let me know. As soon as I have the FOI responses I will post them for you to read and send to anyone who wants them.