PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay pilot 'sacked for Top Gun stunt'
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2008, 16:09
richatom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suggest that most punters would probably not know enough to be concerned, figuring that it would just 'be like a landing' and would actually think that it'd be fun to be part of something they could then boast about.
I suggest that most people here who are pilots, if sitting in the back, would be very concerned to see/feel/hear that the aircraft was on short finals, with full flaps, but without the gear down. I presume the crew did brief the pax, but certainly not clever to subject them to that sort of wind up without a warning.

As I said earlier, a low-pass like that with pax on board could be deemed ok if carefully planned and rehearsed, cleared with ATC, management and insurance, and pax had been briefed beforehand.

But if it was a spur of the moment act of bravado by the captain to show of his undoubted handling skills then it was reckless and stupid and shows very poor airmanship. If they had crashed, then they would justifiably have been prosecuted in the courts.

Flying airlines is not the place to show off your ability to manually control an aircraft in unusual configurations - which is anyway just a small aspect of airmanship. Fly a CAP-10 if you want to do that.