PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL with Mutli engine rating. Is this a good idea
Old 27th Feb 2008, 15:54
Mouton Rothschild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
echobeach,

This is a very exciting time. I was exactly the same with my first multi engine type. I would skin myself out just to fund another lesson! Happy days. I hope you don't mind me offering a little advice and that you accept it in the spirit in which it's given. You mentioned that one of the things you wanted to do in the PA34 was to go further afield, possibly to Scandinavia. You didn't mention any instrument qualification, so I'm assuming they are yet to come. To remain VMC across such an expanse of water, probably means that you may spend a lengthy period of time at lower levels. Of course, many modern aircraft have GPS, but bear in mind that at these lower levels your VHF nav equipment will be out of range, so will your VHF radio, - it will get very quiet! It is a great comfort when your Nav aids agree with the GPS, but you will be relying on GPS and maybe Ded reckoning. My advice would be to take someone experienced with you the first time, and don't get caught in the dark across the North Sea. If I sound a little like an old fogey, then I apologise, but I've been there and I found it a little scary. Very best of luck with your training.