PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Risky IL-76 Take-off Captured on Video
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2008, 15:15
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 158 Likes on 32 Posts
Hello LFTRainbow,

From your description of events, it looks like you continued beyond the approach ban point despite the required viz being below limits . Visibility can be very deceptive - I too have been in the hold with a great view of the runway... but RVR's of less lan 550m being reported. The problems can occur in very short final when the slant viz can reduce suddenly and dramtically - possibly it did with you, hence your go around.

At the very least I hope you have learned from the experience and will consider it in the future. Perhaps your CP will take a similar attitude...perhaps not. If you are demoted, you won't be the first (or last) - although it's not that common. Just remember, if you are ever thinking of bending a rule, try practicing your reasons for doing so in your best "courtroom" voice - that's usually sufficient to bring most people to their senses!

I was told when you get a Command you have two bags. One is empty and the other is full of luck. The idea is that you fill the empty one with experience before you empty the other!

A4