PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay pilot 'sacked for Top Gun stunt'
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2008, 13:41
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FARs – Height and Speed

Dream Land, your position re. APPLICABLE flight rules is becoming so ludicrous that I'm wondering if you are deliberately winding us up? Otherwise, your claim to inhabit "Planet Earth" is as unsupportable as your argument.

As you say, "both FARs have already been stated". If you had taken my advice and looked back at yours and others' posts over the last couple of days, you would barring word-blindness see what I am getting at. As you apparently find doing your homework tiresome, here are some quotes I am cutting and pasting just for your benefit.

1) "Having conceded, perhaps (?), that the "not within 500 ft of any person, vessel, vehicle or structure" rule does not apply to operational airfields, Dream Land ....."

2) "Dream Land continues to imply that the American speed limit of 250 kts IAS below 10,000 ft has been exceeded.

"So let's look at the speed evidence.
1) 300 mph is 260 kts.
2) The aeroplane has slats/flaps extended (see excellent photo, #6 above), probably at the take-off setting.
3) Looking at the same photo, the pitch attitude is plainly over 5 degrees. [Nearer 8 degrees, I'd guess.]

"However brilliant a flyer the captain is, Newtonian Physics would prevent him from maintaining level flight at that attitude - and particularly in that configuration - at over 260 kts IAS. So how fast was it? My guess is a figure well below 200 kts."

You should stop banging your head on that wall... seems to be affecting the brain.