PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Genuine North sea question
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2008, 12:34
Horror box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is definitely worth trying to get your IR asap. I dont know what your experience is, but getting an IR will not do you any harm in the job market - that much is for sure. I left the military, booked an IR and was lucky that CHC came along and paid for it. Obviously I am bonded, but to me it was a good deal. There were quite a few others in a similar position to me, both civil and mil with varying experience, who got in this way. I would agree with the post above, that it is not worth waiting around for someone to pay for your training. Sure we need pilots now, but who knows what the future holds. 6 months is a long time in this industry. Bite the bullet and get it over with if it is what you want to do, and you think you have a realistic chance of succeeding. An initial IR is by no means a given, and is certainly not an attendance course. It is hard work, and can be very expensive if you are not ready for it, and could set you back if you dont pass and run out of cash, so bear this in mind. Operators will also bear this in mind when considering whether they should sponsor you or not. All that being said, many of us have done it, and if my stagnant brain can get through, there is hope for us all! It is never as bad afterwards as everyone said! Good luck, and do as much prep as you can.