PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay pilot 'sacked for Top Gun stunt'
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2008, 11:16
richatom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 100% with Milt on this. Would you really need to 'train and practice' beyond the routine for what is essentially a late go-around.
How does that even remotely resemble "a late go-around"?

In a late go-around, power would be TOGA, pitch positive, flaps partially retracted, gear retracted only when vario-positive. You would also be protected in any subsequent N-1 go around stages of the departure.

There he is flying straight and level at very low altitude, partially in ground effect, with what looks like landing flaps, a low power setting, and gear retracted (and presumably with all sorts of cockpit alarms clanging). And what was his protection in case of N-1 when he eventually did decide to apply TOGA?

Presumably the pilots did plan and rehearse this manouevre beforehand, consider the alarms that would be triggered, and also evaluate N-1 scenarios. Presumably they also briefed ATC, the passengers and discussed it with management etc. If it was all carefully planned, risks assessed etc then it is ok IMO. But if he just did it on the spur of the moment then it was certainly reckless.

Certainly I would not be too happy as a passenger if I had not been specifically briefed about what was going on...

Last edited by richatom; 27th Feb 2008 at 11:44.