PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Nimrod Question?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2008, 20:29
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smaller runway (L and W) than you'd think -
'Feb 24 1993, XV241, captain Sqn Ldr Ovell Taxiway landing trials RAF Kinloss, duration 1 hr 50 (day)'.

Unusual to get rates when returning to your home base, having been detached for 2 weeks to Boscombe Down to assist in a variety of trials by backending a flight deck, and having to stay unexpectedly overnight.

Of particular note was it took way less than 2 hr 30 to prepare for a flight - I seem to recall ambling gently across from coffee bar to aircraft about 25 mins before planned take off - and for some reason entry to the a/c was via front starboard door every time.

Did quite a few rollers on the taxiway, and there was a lot of room to spare, possibly due to the excellent piloting that fortnight, no aspersions on those I flew with on sqns but these guys used to virtually pick grease marks to land on "3 inches long there Bertie - Yes Harold, bit of a gust from that seagull as I flared" style of thing. Landings were on the northern side I recall, though it's 15 years ago and for all I now remember reliably I was in the navy and probably still like rum and unusually flared trousers.

(The auth sheet facts are okay though, still got the logbook <g>)....