PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL with Mutli engine rating. Is this a good idea
Old 26th Feb 2008, 17:54
echobeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL with Mutli engine rating. Is this a good idea

I have searched the archives and cant find a clear answer to this so I hope I am not covering well trodden ground.

I have just started my MER in a Seneca II. This has been tremendous fun and a great challenge. I am already unable to think about anything else other than getting back in the air in this plane.

Compared to the usual hire craft I fly this plane is packed with all the kit and gizmos that would make long distance touring something that Mrs Echobeach may join me on.

However I am concerned that I may have made an error in doing my MER.

Firstly like the forbidden fruit the temptation will be there to fly twins (an expensive endeavor it seems)
Secondly it seems that whilst hiring a good condition single with decent kit may be difficult, it is not impossible. There seem however to be very few twins for hire.

Does this mean I will not use the rating much. Am I committed to joining a group if I wish to fly one regularly. Am I making a mistake that most PPLs flying once or twice a week don’t go on to use a MER very often as I appreciate that currency in a twin will be especially important.

I fly from an airfield just north of London. I would very much like to know what other PPls not going on to commercial flying have done with an MER