PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Critical engine (jet)
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2008, 16:23
Lodems

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PWK B707 accident 1977

"The main gear then contacted the runway again (lots of drag as much aileron in use) and folded sideways at which point a decision was made to abandon the take off."
Wonderfully understated firefly! From my comfortable P4 seat that seemed a great 'decision' at the time. As we slid on fire down RW13 (heading c.220) I called for the thrust levers to be closed and I reached over to the F/E panel to switch off the LP cocks. Somewhat futile gestures as all four engines had already deployed in various directions across PWK. Flying with wings level was very much an accepted B707 technique after engine failure on the line at that time. It wasn't until after the crash that the massive increase in VMCA with small amounts of bank the 'wrong way' was re-emphasised to Base Trainers. Rumour was that Dai Davis knew all about it but Boeing supressed it as commercially sensitive data. The crosswind that day certainly masked the initial effect of the simulated engine failure. BA subsequently recommended failures to be simulated either while the a/c was still firmly on the ground or safely airborne well after V2 achieved and to be very aware of the crosswind!