PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pride. Its not just about being gay.
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2008, 11:58
effortless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al R

What I don't want to see is the Union Flag draped over everything and our nice little aircraft pimped up like the one in your piccy. I am often asked by my spam associates if I'm not proud to be British. I can't really answer as I don't really understand what that means. I am glad to be British but I am less happy with the way it is run and has been run for the last forty odd years. I support our chaps in as many ways as I am able. I drink with them when they grieve their mates and support their families when they don't come back themselves. In the way of old farts the world over, I wish I could go with them when they march out. I regret that my own military service was cut short. I abhor some of the jobs that they have been asked to do.

My family has donated the life of at least one of its children from each generation since the Afghan Campaign in 1878. Is this something to be proud of? I think that they did right by themselves and our country but I wonder if we did what we did for the greater good. We served because we wanted to serve. We liked to be part of that military family and I for one was desperate to fly.

Upon consideration, I think that I am proud to be British, I am proud that we do not need to wrap ourselves in the flag. I am proud that our anthem is a little bit boring. I am also proud that I can sit back and let other nations get the limelight while we quietly get on with the job as best we can. I am also proud that we can sometimes admit that we were wrong.