PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas "emergency" in SYD
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2008, 10:49
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mate I've taken that bit out of my earlier post as it seemed to be causing some confusion.

My point was to highlight that most operators of 743s are not usually thought of as being amongst the leading global carriers. The exceptions to that would certainly be JAL and possibly Saudi.

However I would not put (at least on my list) Phuket, Orient Thai, TAAG or PIA in a list of 'leading' carriers. Corsair have fairly high maintenance/compliance standards but do mainly holiday charter runs so have the SLF crammed into every conceivable space. Air Atlantic do what they're told by whoever is chartering the aircraft (and I've been on a couple of Atlantic aircraft in IB colours and they were HORRIFIC flights, but that may have also had something to do with the fact that it was IB cabin crew and not just a clapped-out a/c).

So my point is, QF are among very few 'leading' carriers operating the type; most 'leading' carriers who have operated it, no longer do; so the company they keep (in terms of 743 operators) is, in the majority, less than the industry's leading lights.

Then again by numbers, JAL group probably (I'm not 100% sure) operate the most airframes so you could make an argument that by airframes operated, the company's actually pretty good.