PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Choosing USA or CANADA?!?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2008, 09:39
WMB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USA or Canada

I have been to both, OFT and MFC, and would have to say that i prefer MFC for several reasons. The weather is more like European weather, there is a more structured training enviroment, the ATC is more like Europe, the airport is fully controlled, which promotes good RT disipline. The somewhat remote location encourages thouough flight planning, no one wants to end up as a bear snack after a forced landing. True, there were some problems with the JAA side in the past, I had first hand experience of that, but now they have a new CFI and have made a real effort to address the problems. The disadvantages are that it will take longer to complete your CPL, mainly due to weather. Prices are more expensive, with the falling US dollar, Canadian prices are usually more expensive. Flights to Moncton are a bit more expensive, as you will have to get a connecting flight, from either New York or Toronto. Once you get there living expenses are similar to the US, but not too bad.
Orlando Flight Training, is on the other hand is a reasonable place, if you motivate yourself, and have some common sense you will get on well. Must admit, had a very good instructor there, a young Scandinavian called Stan, if you could not pass your CPL under his instruction GIVE UP NOW!! The weather in Orlando is very good nearly all year, but a little too hot for me!