PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WJ + CYOW + Slippery Rwy = Overrun
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2008, 03:19
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know guys, I see both sides to the fence on this one. For one, Willy, I can see your reason for wanting to have a professional discussion about what could have been a serious accident. At the same time though I see wallygators point of not speculating because of the adverse media attention this industry gets (especially those reporters who act like "ambulance chasers") from such comments.

There are two issues, one good and one bad. The "good" point is discussion of any incident - even speculating - allows us all to think of the consequences of another pilots actions, learning from them and possibly saving ourselves the same fate one day. Also, for those younger pilots who do not have the experience of flying in the soup it gives them an excellent insight into what they need to learn up on to work in the industry. I for one still watch the Discovery Channel to watch the air disaster programs for the simple reason it keeps you thinking (ok decreasing airspeed, increasing aoa with the power trying to increase while the aircraft is not gaining altitude in IMC, Ms. B Betty begins screaming and shaking her stick at you, all the while you have focused your attention on a burnt out bulb or blown C/B...).

On the other hand, speculation is the one recipe for reporters to start cooking rumours about (we've all read about that new mod Cessna has on a 152...you know, the retractable landing gear?). If they see a professional discussion, with no name calling or mud slinging the beast known as a reporter will simply go back under the rock. If, however, there is commotion and arguments, they come out from under the rock because something "interesting" is happening. Even if they are dead wrong it is us who fed them, and the best way to begin the feeding process is to start off by saying "Im only speculating here, but...". No where in the world will you find a sentance more likely to generate an argument. (except maybe "the war is over, victory is achieved?")

Thats just my 2c though.

Oh...and BTW, I've always prefered an Orion Slave Girl myself.