PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay pilot 'sacked for Top Gun stunt'
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2008, 16:43
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roy Hudd

are you really a sanctimonious tt, or is that just the persona you display on this forum?

Anotherthing, kindly stop writing about things of which you clearly know so little. As you wrote, you are not a pilot. Your reference to authorisation makes no sense to me , and I DO understand what authorisation means in the field of professional aviation. It does not mean regulation, just as a clue.
What makes you think I know so little about it? FYI I do understand what authorisation means - although not a pilot and never have been one, I have in a previous profession flown for the military. Pilots are not the only ones that fly.

I had to sign for aircraft that I and my pilot took out, and also countersign the authorisation sheets for the sorties. Also, as a secondary duty I had a lot do do with the organisation of airshows that were put on at some of the bases I served at... I think you will find that authorisation is a very big part of this process - no doubt you already know - it just may surprise you that other people understand these things as well.

As it happens, in this instance we are not talking about the authorisation with reference to competency or display lines or anything else - we are talking about what the employer expects from its employees.

So thanks for the clue, but it's not needed... why don't you climb back into your Ivory Tower, you can show your face again when you have the balls and the humility to realise that authorisation and company SOPs are not solely the domain of someone who has pilots wings.

Whether I agree or disagree that the fun has been taken out of so many things in life has bugger all relevance to this, the pilot signs out the aircraft and in doing so agrees to operate it IAW company SOPS.

If the safety of the aircraft is in danger (or believed to be), then the pilot has every right to do what he or she wishes to regain the safe operation... that's what the training and pay is for.

If the pilot decides to do something outside of company SOPs, just for the hell of it, then that company is within its rights to discipline him or her.

Whether the punishment fits the 'crime' is another argument altogether - I personally would say he has been harshly done by, especially given his experience and seniority, but that is by the by.

Last edited by anotherthing; 25th Feb 2008 at 17:42.