PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ticket refunds - in particular the 'tax'
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2002, 14:12
Boss Raptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Virgin Atlantic - didnt use a non refundable ticket LON-MIA last January 2001 - my travel agent applied to Virgin for the tax refund to which I am entitled a week later.... .. .To date 14 months later despite being chased very month by my travel agent the £45-50 tax has still not be refunded by VS to his Clearing House account...I am not alone he is chasing 7 other similar outstanding refunds.. .. .Am writing to VS this week demanding my tax back in 14 days or I will just issue a Small Claims Court action against them and disseminate the story to the press.... .. .Looks like VS are short of money doesnt it!. .. .DFC you are quite correct certainly under the UK fiscal enviroment collection/administration of a tax or duty is at the expense of the seller or producer and I am sure this 'admin charge' to make a tax refund will be dealt with before too long...after all when you return goods to a shop for refund as example the seller is not able to deduct a proportion of the VAT element as an 'admin charge'...however I suspect this airport/airline tax is being collected by Customs & Excise not Inland Revenue.... .. .I personally believe that this whole situation is highly questionable but have not had opportunity to investigate further at a fiscal level...something rings in my mind that this matter is already being addressed by the EU as part of a much larger ticket/tariffs problem ?. . . . <small>[ 22 March 2002, 08:53: Message edited by: Boss Raptor ]</small>