PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA- Alcohol and other Drugs Survey
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2008, 11:54
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down CASA- Alcohol and other Drugs Survey

I conducted the CASA Alcohol and other drugs survey online this evening.

This has to be amongst the most poorly written surveys that I have ever seen. I suspect that CASA have gotten a third grader- and not a high achieving one- to write the damned thing.

I was forced to answer 'no' to questions when in reality it was more appropriate for me to answer 'not applicable'. Here are a few examples of poorly worded questions. They apply equally to the alcohol questions but I've only highlighted the drugs questions as follows.

3. In the last 12 months, did you find you couldn't stop or cut down on your use of the following drugs for non-medical purposes, even though you wanted to or tried to?
Given that I haven't used any of the listed drugs in the last 12 months I'm looking for a 'not applicable' type response. It doesn't exist and so the only answer is 'yes' or 'no' to the list. So if I answer 'no' then it appears that I may have done them but found that I actually COULD cut down on them. This is not accurate and would go some way to invalidating a test result.

5. In the last 12 months have any family members, friends, work colleagues, doctor or other health care worker commented on your use of the following drugs?
Answer 'yes' or 'no'. Again there is no 'not applicable'. No they haven't spoken to me about it because I hide it really well or 'no' they haven't spoken to me because I simply don't do them. The answer is the latter. No one has spoken to me because I don't do them. Had the question asked me 'have you done any of these drugs' yes/no and THEN asked me had anyone spoken to me then it would have been a far more valid question.

6. In terms of drug use (excluding alcohol)at the present time do you consider yourself...?
experimental user (single or short-term use)
recreational/occasional user
circumstancial/situational user (for a specific purpose/date/event)
intensive user (major daily dose)
dependent user (persistent, frequent high dose)
How about 'none of the above'? The survey did let me past this point without answering this question but it's still a poorly worded question.

7. How do you typically compare your drug consumption (excluding alcohol)with that of you colleagues?
A bit above
About the same
A bit below
If I say a 'bit below' then does that mean the rest of my colleagues are all high as kites and I'm a little less so or does that mean that my colleagues do some and I do none. What if I answer 'about the same' because I suspect that none of us actually do drugs.

4. In the last 12 months, how many days of work did you miss because of your personal use of illicit drugs or prescription medication that is not your own?
If I answer 'none' does this mean that I just came to work under the influence? That is certainly the implication. How about 'I don't do drugs' response?

6. During the past 12 months, have you found yourself failing to meet work committments, timelines and withdrawing from workplace social events because of your alcohol and/or other drug use?
Yes or no to this one? No I haven't because I get away with it or no because I just don't do it?

As you can see, the survey is quite poor. I completed it but I believe the questions are so poor as to invalidate any useful conclusions. I hope that CASA didn't expend money on getting a professional company to do this- they need their money back if they did. If they didn't expend money and did it in house then it certainly shows.

What a crock!