PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX/FTA Instructor Secondment
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2008, 06:33
sgsslok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
404 Titan-

I know that I am not as experienced as you are in the aviation industry, but I can also assure you that I didn't arrive at YPPF with zero experience either. In fact, the cadetship is not even my first job as a professional pilot.

Anyway, I think somehow you have mistaken the intend of my post. I was not trying to say that one way was better than the other. I was merely pointing out some of the things where applicants for the program need to consider.

In fact, I agree with almost everything you said. These are things that are universal to the aviation industry. What you said and what I said didn't contradict each other. I was just stating the specifics for the program, while you were looking at the bigger picture.

This program is targeted at people with little or no experience in the aviation industry, and they simply might not have considered some of the things we've brought up. I want them to be able to make an informed decision.

For me, if you give me 6 years, I would much rather spend 2 years instructing and 4 years at a regional, then 6 years instructing. I would have less risk of something going wrong, as statistically, airline flying is the safest way to fly, while GA is 9 times more dangerous. I would also have accumulated more experience by the end of that period of time. On a personal level, I sure as hell would have enjoyed carrying people around doing 5 sectors a day, more than I would have enjoyed doing stalls and steep turns all day.

If I were(am) to be given a choice, I wouldn't have taken it. If I wanted the expat package, I would have hung on for a few more years and applied as a DESO. There are reasons why I didn't, but that's another story.

Of course, I am not too familiar with the GA/regionals situation in Australia. I was speaking from my experience from the few years I've spent in the US.

I think this is a good program overall as well, especially with the scholarship. It gives more people more opportunity than before. My conclusion remain the same tho: figure out what the compromises are worth at a personal and professional level, and act accordingly.

P.S. I've just read your reply for HYG, and I think you would understand my point of view if you know my prior experiences.

HYG-

Thanks for sticking up for me! Hope all is well and you will pass your you-know-what without much fuzz!