PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia want the F-22
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2008, 09:21
Flyingblind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Understand all the above POV and just tossing in my 2 cents worth, with the recent grounding of the Classic F-15 and (not really linked i know) B2 isn't the USAF rather strapped for Next Gen (5TH Generation) asset procurement?

Whomever wins the next US election i doubt they would welcome the public perception that they are denying the American people their right of protection from overseas aggression.

By selling the Raptor to Japan (60-70 ?) and Australia (40-60?) would not the production line be extended and therefore the unit price be reduced?

Or is price for Congress not the real issue? is it a smokescreen to prevent the current incumbents (Republicans) from exporting their view of world diplomacy by 'cracking a walnut with a hammer?

Would the Technologies incumbent in the F-22EA (Export Australia) version really be that advantageous to Australia to unbalance the SE Asia equation or are is it a level of mistrust of our industry and RAAF personnel to keep certain things 'In house'.

Nice as the F-22 capabilities may be, it comes with a monumental associated price, not just fiscally. Once all the Horse Trading and BS is finished in the US we may as well just get on and accept JSF as the best we can do.

Last edited by Flyingblind; 24th Feb 2008 at 09:40.