PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX/FTA Instructor Secondment
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2008, 06:34
WaldoPepper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midgetboy,

FTA is a little different in it's approach. At most GA flying schools (Where I started out), the emphasis was on letting the student fly as much as possible. This meant that the method of teaching was rather more "Direct-Monitor". This invariably leads to more directing and monitoring. The reason being that the student feels he/she is getting more for their money because they are getting more time at the controls.

In Adelaide at FTA, the students are not "off the street" as such, and are cadets from various airlines. There are the odd "private" student who joins one of the main courses though. The teaching mentality is different. You are able to spend more time "DEMO-Direct-Monitor" and so as an instructor, you get more hands on.

This may not matter to all, but I found my personal flying skill improved considerably simply because I was Demo-ing more. You might end up doing hours of circuits, but as you move up the ranks you will also do 2-3 instrument ratings at a time. You get quite good at hand flying an NDB approach whilst failing the inboard engine.

The point to all of this and to respond to your post, is that even though the instructor is younger than you, this in no way means the level of instruction is inferior. At FTA they do a LOT of flying and they demo everything. This can't be said for most GA flying schools.