PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus - 2
Thread: Astraeus - 2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 10:35
Puritan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil Rumours rumours everywhere

With respect to the rumour about more B737-700 aircraft; one is always glad to see growth and employment opportunities, so it would certainly be good if Astraeus did introduce more aircraft,… but would these really be ‘more’, or are they just ‘replacements’?

I.e. At some point (later this year?) Astraeus’ new parent company(NTH) is reported as wanting to start operating flights to North America, via Keflavik, apparently filled with passengers from Scandinavia & Iceland… no doubt influenced by the ‘Open Skies’ agreement which commences at the end of March 2008. But therein these are likely, initially, to be ‘thin’ routes.

So maybe it’s the case that 5x B737-700s could be introduced as part of a phased retirement of the B757’s (a fleet which, I believe, Astraeus’ original Chairman once described as “Spectacularly unreliable!”). Nb. Astraeus presently has 5x B757… so the numbers do seem to fit.

And Astraeus already have 138 minutes ETOPS for their B737-700’s and therein a low cost operation across the Atlantic, via Keflavik, from / to the ‘smaller airports’ (e.g. Ryan Air style) in Scandinavia / North America might just be feasible?!

But, from where are they going to get the pilots (especially Captains)?

Astraeus do have a handful of pilots on the B757 who are already type-rated on the B737; so these could go through an OCC.
Those who are not 737 rated could be put through a B737 type-rating course (i.e. just as Astraeus did when they got the B757, when they took some off the B737 and type-rated them on to the B757). So there is a precedent / they’ve done if before!
And then there’s always the option for ‘Mixed Fleet Flying’, i.e. some pilots being allowed to fly the B737 & B757 on alternate days (so to speak).

Coupled with this, some may be aware that Astraeus recently ran an advertising campaign, on ‘Aviation Job Search’, specifically pointed at trying to recruit more B737 pilots (of all ranks)… or maybe this is just a toe-in-the-water exercise to determine the response, i.e. to see what’s out there?

This is a rumour network after all.