PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aus Customs
Thread: Aus Customs
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 10:09
spanner90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for a very edifying thread. It is unusual to see such harmony and accord.

Worrals, my concerns mentioned earlier regarding classified information involved the holder of such information allowing others to peruse it, without knowledge of the clearance of the reader. (Sorry, the phrasing is a little clumsy..) As I understand it, the holder is responsible for the custody of classified information, and in the case of the higher levels, is also responsible for unopened/undisclosed delivery to a named person. This would surely not be a Customs officer. This then places the holder/courier of the information in an undefined position.

On a somewhat related point, what is the situation with safe-hand diplomatic bags? Are they also subject to Customs scrutiny? I thought they were sealed by the relevant embassy, and were not to be opened until delivery. Perhaps one of you learned folk can shed some light.

BTW, I am not fishing for information, but having spent many years in Her Majesty's Service, I am bewildered by the absurd lengths some seem to go to, in order to claim superiority over another "service"/civil defence organisation.

My two cents.....