PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD fury as Brown wields axe
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 07:45
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly even if the Service chiefs were to fall on their sword it would make no difference at all - there are sufficient power hungry yes men lower down the tree who would be more than happy to step up to the plate for 2 years, make no difference whatsoever and leave with a massive pension and gratuity. Even Swiss Des throwing in the towel would give Prudence Brown the opportunity to put another yes man in post. Notice any change when Lord Drayson quit? Thought not.

As for the worker bees in MOD (OF5 and below I'm talking about). Cut them some slack - they are trying to do their best under some very trying circumstances. With no (and I mean no) strategic direction and a government who does not want to hear any bad news that may affect their popularity (loss of UK jobs, closure of UK industry etc) there can be no progress. A demonstration would elevate the issue in the press but for how long? Mass PVRs - whilst the PVR rate is apparantly within historical norms (don't shoot the messenger!) the rate people are leaving at their option points is increasing. Is it making a blind bit of difference? Sadly no - but it is playing into the hands of the government who are reducing the wage bill without having to pay redundancy! All we will end up with is a very young Armed Forces with lots of operational experience but nothing else. I'm sure there is a far eastern air force (Singapore?) where their equivalent of CDS is 35 but he, like the rest of their serviceman are out by 38. Would this work here? I believe it is already happening - whilst we still have sufficient numbers walking through the recruiting office doors (which I admit is arguable at the moment) those leaving at the top end of the tree are replaced by pulling up those from below. Interesting to know what the dilution rate actually is or have they changed the definition to make the stats better?