PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Favorite DC-3 / C-47 Story
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 03:20
pigboat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eventually F/O is dispatched to have a look round and finds the overwing emergency exit has been opened next to a lady passenger; you'll remember that they hinged outwards at the bottom, with a simple handle at the top. F/O decides not to try and get it back but asks Hassan if he knew about it. Hassan says "of course, I opened it; she asked me to as she was feeling hot".
During the airlift by Hollinger Ungava Transport to build the Quebec North Shore & Labrador Railway in the early 1950's, a child was sucked out of the forward of the two emergency overwing exits on the left side of one of their DC-3's. The aircraft was equipped with the military seating along the walls on either side of the center aisle. The kid was two years old, standing on the seat and was playing around with the emergency exit handle, when the window flew open. The area of low pressure in that location, immediately behind the wing, was sufficient to pull him out of the cabin. The kid's mother never recovered from the shock.