PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 'Land After' Instruction
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2008, 03:06
PositiveClimbGearUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'Land After' Instruction

Hi there!

I'm sure this must have been discussed previously on the forum, but a search didn't find anything as such, so I'll stick my neck out and start a new thread!

I'm basically just enquiring as to how often the 'land after' instruction is given by controllers (particularly in the UK) and what actually determines whether a controller gives this instruction to a pilot, or whether he or she waits until the runway is clear and gives the more common 'cleared to land' instruction.

I think I understand the very basic difference between the two, and I assume the 'land after' clearance can only be used if the pilot has confirmed he is visual with the aircraft on the runway but what I don't really understand is why the two separate instructions exist.

When undertaking PPL training at Newcastle, I was once advised to 'land after' another light aircraft, after I had confirmed I was visual with him, and I've also occasionally heard commercial traffic given the same instruction.

On one occasion the commercial pilot refused to accept the instruction and asked to be cleared to land, which leads to another question - is it not company policy for some commercial airlines to accept such a clearance?

Does the 'land after' clearance tend only to be used at less-busy airports, or is it (in theory or otherwise) totally acceptable at say Heathrow and Gatwick?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have been pondering this for some time!