PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 18:12
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pitch Attitudes

Quote from SyEng [Today, 17:04]:
The most nose-down attitude of the whole flight (including descent) occurs when landing flaps are selected. This I think is likely true of many civil types. Perhaps someone can confirm for 777. So any residual liquid in the CT moves forward at this point.
[Unquote]

Haven't flown the B777, but doubt that would be the case. In the absence of a B777 pilot on the forum at the moment (?) I'm going to stick my neck out.

The lowest pitch attitude is likely to have been in the early part of the descent from FL380, when still at or near the cruise Mach, when it is likely to have been zero or less. If you think about it, passenger and trolley-dolly comfort in the cruise dictate a deck angle of something between zero and 3 degrees nose-up.

To descend at idle thrust and maintain speed (the standard technique on jets), the change of pitch angle is going to be about 3 - 5 degrees down, initially. This suggests a pitch attitude of minus-something in the descent, i.e., below the horizon.

With the aeroplane fully configured for landing, and at final approach speed, the attitude is definitely nose-up, even with full flap selected. Prior to that, on the glide-slope with intermediate flap, the speed is usually higher, resulting in a similar pitch attitude. There is, admittedly, a short-term pitch-down as each increase in flap is made, before the speed decays to the new value; but at no time would the actual pitch be below zero on the approach on a large modern jet.

Hope this helps.