PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UKFT (Rainbow Air) Full JAA ATPL
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 17:34
mjlewis06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Morgan, please keep updated with your progress of suing that bastard Ray Grimmet.

I went to Rainbow in August 07 to complete my CPL/ME and 100hours 172 time after I already completed my PPL there in October 2006. I don't know why I went back after a reasonably bad experience with the PPL> perhaps because my friend was there, which after I paid a deposit came home after being screwed over too many times.

Anways...I was told I had to sort my own multi engine rating by discussing it with an instructor, which I could cope with. I then flew a few hours, before getting pissed off enough to undertake my IR with AFT(Accelerated Flight Training - which is a private 1 to 1 organisation using California FLight Centres **BRAND NEW WELL MAINTAINED* aircraft). At this point I was still giving Rainbow a chance for multi cpl and 100 hours hour building! untill I found out their multi wasn't operating. so I nagged AFT again that I might want to do this with them, although my VISA was with rainbow (they advised they are part 62 which does not require a visa - which today I am still unsure about). so I called up whilst having a day off from IR to book some hour building they said "okay hold one minute"...i held untill the receptionist came back and said "if you want to fly you have to give us the whole amount - which was somthing stupid like $14,000 for the multi course and building. After my friend now back in the UK said "DONT GIVE RAY ANY MONEY UP FRONT" I said NO WAY JOSE I will pay by the hour..to which I got "please hold" which I did and as expected it was a big fat "RAY SAID NO" so I asked "can I keep a credit of 1000 dollar on file as I go along. I got another please hold. so I did... and I got another now. I then wanted to speak to ray which I was advised email to email dirty bastard ray grimhole. I got straight on the old email machine and contacted Ray to beg him to take my offer of a small credit system...2 days later I gt a reply saying somthing to the effect of "you are unwilling to comply with want we want If you cannot pay the full sum I am cancelling your VISA". Immediately I got back and was like hell no give me a few days to get the money (stall tactic as prior to my reply I phoned my friend who had been threatened this and potentially meant I need to get the **** out of the US fast).. I then completed my IR and booked a flight home replied relatively nicely advising Ray I am leaving and expect a full refund....

I send several emails back and forward which which in a nutshell was he saying he would not give a refund about £700 demanding my money back...to which I am still awaiting a reply as he did not state any terms and conditions and I think I am entitled to the money I did pay to them back.

As to what I know rainbow was being bought out by an Indian Man. Not only that Rainbow was swarming with students at the amount where there was nowhere near enough aircraft to accomodate these...neither was there any airworthy aircraft for them.

Oh and another thing a lot of the good examiners have started to refuse taking rainbow students for check rides...so you could do your training and find nobody will fly with you untill you fly somewhere else.

TO anybody considering doing thier training in the States I recommend Accelerated Flight Training. If you google them you will find their website...they do exactly what they say on the tin. You want IR in 10 days you WILL get it (I did 10 days bang on) Multi engine in 5-8...I would have if I didn't **** up the oral check ride! They are very professional and is one a one to one basis. Commercial is about 14 days..they are a bit more expensive than rainbow but in the long run is cheaper as you save on accomodation costs and you also get bran new aircraft 2004 and newer....MUCH MUCH MUCH friendlier service (more so that grumpy rainbow staff).

Sorry to rad your bad experience about Rainbow Steve, but please let me know of any updates about a lawsuit with Ray. I will gladly provide you with assisstance if you require.

Happy Flying

Mat