PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you fail a Class 1 with high cholesterol?
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 12:36
Mouton Rothschild

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cholesterol - Get it sorted.

I'm not a Doctor, so forgive me if this sounds like I'm giving unqualified advice. An elevated cholesterol level is just one of a number of risk factors associated with coronary heart disease. Most of us know this already, but I think it's fair to say that few of us actually get round to having it checked, and where appropriate reducing it. I hope you don't find my story boring, but maybe it will encourage one or two to heed my advice.

I was an ATPL working for a large airline on 737s. In hindsight it was obvious that I was doing all the wrong things lifestyle wise, I smoked, drank moderately, didn't keep myself fit etc. and my BP was described as 'upper normal' but acceptable for a Class 1. One friday afternoon, at home, I was doing pretty much what I'm doing now, sitting quietly in front of my PC looking at PPRuNe when suddenly out of the blue I had a chest pain. To be honest it didn't seem particularly severe for the first 20 seconds or so, but then it got progressively worse. It was just as if someone was slowly driving a piece of wood through my chest. Very soon the pain was excruciating. My wife fortunately realised what was happening and called an ambulance. It was a heart attack (myocardial infarction), and I spent 10 days in the Acute Cardiac Unit at my local hospital. I consider myself to be very fortunate, because although it was a large heart attack, and a great deal of the heart muscle died, it was an inferior M I which means it was at the bottom of the heart. Had it been an anterior M I (front) I would have died.
It was at this point that my cholesterol was checked. (horses and stable doors spring to mind) The level was 6.9 and I now have to keep it below 4, using a high dose of statins. Needless to say my medical was suspended pending further investigation, which unfortunately revealed too much heart tissue damage. My medical and subsequently my licence has been permanently revoked. I miss flying like you would not believe, but at least I'm alive.
So please guys, cholesterol, blood pressure, smoking - get it sorted.