PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aus Customs
Thread: Aus Customs
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 12:30
Hasselhof

Somehow, I don't think that passwords are much of a delay for Customs, State, or Fed police.

If you think the perps of said crimes are clever, the law enforcers are even better.
If customs can get through the relatively basic FileVault encryption on my Macbook in less than a year I'd be very impressed (admittedly only if I've got the computer switched off and cooled down by the time they get their hands on it... which if I've just come from overseas is pretty likely). Lots has changed on the encryption front when it comes to civilian use since the 80's and early 90's.

From a wikipedia article on PGP
To the best of publicly available information, there is no known method which will allow a person or group to break PGP encryption by cryptographic, or computational means. Early versions of PGP have been found to have theoretical vulnerabilities and so current versions are recommended. Indeed, in 1996, cryptographer Bruce Schneier characterized an early version as being "the closest you're likely to get to military-grade encryption."

edit.

For those that care here's a link to some operating system security guides put out by the NSA to help keep your data from prying eyes... like customs