PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 12:01
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't call me "Hannah"!

Unlike Hannah I was not following orders when I flew those helo trips; I volunteered! (I certainly was safe doing that though; I was about a mile behind the aircraft.)

It was "experimental" and it was "testing", esp. for that brave soul allowing me a relatively free hand with his S76C+++, but I guess that I really cannot call myself an experimental test pilot just on the strength of that. Thanks anyway, though, Doc.

Of course I am jealous! I just did a landing the other day when I "only" needed about 100 metres of runway thanks to a stiff headwind and 37.5° of flaps. Even there I can only come third behind helos and the Pilatus Porter.

I remember one time approaching the old Warri Airstrip when the helo pilot in the right seat was surprised when I did a go-around from our first approach in low visibility. I had to remind him that the Twin Otter lacked that ability to flare to a hover over the runway that he took for granted, so that we had to throw the first one away and get it "just perfect" on the second try.

Ours was the only aircraft to land that day. I won a bet with Nabiel over this curious fact, that the red, white and blue Twotter made it in when the orange and white ones either didn't or couldn't.

Just like SASless, if you broke me open you would find "Bristow" all the way through, just like a stick of rock. Right?