PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 11:08
NSEU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dear God, from aliens to EMI to RMI to running out of fuel, to icebergs in fuel tanks,
From a previous post in another thread on this issue....

Quote:
Many, many years go, when I was a young pilot, there was an incident in where I live, with Airbus A300's. Company was Karair, at that time a charter subsidiary of Finnair, they had two A300's, with highest utilisation of the type then, basically flying non-stop between Finland and the Canary Islands. About 18 hours airborne per day per aircraft, if I recall correctly. At some point, it was discovered that there was a huge chunk of ice floating in the fuel tank of one of the aircraft, as the condenced water never had time to melt, and thus had never been drained from the system between the flights. The aircraft had actually been very close to fuel starvation because of this. Of course, about 20 years have passed, lessons have been learnt, and this could not happen again, couldn't it...?

Now this rings a bell.

I think about 10 years ago Continental had an issue with their early 777s in that during winter ops from NWK the fuel temp never dropped sufficiently to allow any suspended/solid water to thaw and therefore be drained during normal routine checks. Result was a very large, thick sheet of ice in the base of the fuel tanks which would often give erroneous tank qty readings.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with recent events. I just wanted to comment on the above quote.

NSEU
Quote:
even if all 138 gallons of ice thawed during the descent and was scavenged, would mixing it with over 3000 gallons of remaining wing tank fuel degrade the engine performance so much?

From early on in the various threads, we have been told that the CT would have been empty, long before TOD.

We have been told that the CT is used first in it's entirety. Once fuel is below the level of the main pumps and the engines fed from the wing tanks, other pumps (the scavengers?) drain the tank down and put the remaining fuel into the wings. Thus, no great body of water would exist. If I recall correctly, that is a SOP
I was simply speculating on what would happen if there was ice in the bottom of the tank. You can't scavenge ice.

Rgds.
NSEU