PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 07:22
ICAO-Delta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get back to the topic...

Is this the kind of response we (and the CB hill dwellers) should be pushing on Airservices management?

WASHINGTON, D.C. — In an effort to streamline the application process for air traffic controllers, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has created consolidated screening and testing centers to provide “one stop shopping” for prospective new employees. Consolidating security clearances, medical screenings, and fingerprinting allows the agency to cut weeks off the application process.
“The FAA put out a job announcement just last month that attracted 3,000 applicants in 15 days. The overwhelming response for new air traffic controller positions highlights the enthusiasm, passion and determination of our applicants,” said Bobby Sturgell, the FAA’s acting administrator. “They are ready to work and we want to get them processed and in training as soon as possible.”
To get numerous applicants through the system at one time, the FAA created a Pre-Employment Processing Center (PEPC) that couples screening and testing and can rotate to the FAA facilities where prospective controllers are interviewed. Instead of making separate appointments that can take up to two weeks to complete, this system streamlines the process.
The first Center was set up at the regional FAA office in New York in January and was a huge success when more than 90 prospective controllers were interviewed. Individuals invited to come to the Centers are candidates chosen by centralized selection panels for further consideration. The first hires to participate in this process received job offers within two weeks and will start at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City this month. Other Centers will be held in Florida, Atlanta, Fort Worth, and Chicago between now and the spring.
The consolidated screening process is one more initiative in the FAA’s aggressive recruitment and hiring program. The FAA will hire more than 1,800 new air traffic controllers this year and increase total controller staffing to more than 15,000. In addition to recruitment and hiring, the agency recently announced the installation of state-of-the-art air traffic tower and en route simulators to give the new controllers an enhanced, real-world experience during training.

[Source: www.just4airlines.com]
I acknowledge that this is NOT a short-term fix, but I doubt there will be too many 'old' Australian ATCs who would respond to an offer (even if it were substantial). Once out of the job, and used to another lifestyle, it is just not worth it (regardless of the offer) to go back. I for one, am far happier doing what I am doing right now than I have been in a long while. So let's at least start pushing for a longer-term solution so that when I (and you) travel in the future (which I hope will be many, many years to come), I/we will continue to feel 'secure' in the knowledge that I/we am/are being well looked after by qualified, fresh and content ATCs.

ID