PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SilkAir MI 185
Thread: SilkAir MI 185
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 03:09
malcolmyoung90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore Censorship

Post #9

I was living in Singapore at the time and I agree with Slasher.
I was also living in Singapore at the time, although was not working in the aviation industry. A friend of mine, a qualified pilot but not working in that industry at the time, mentioned to me (this was a year or so after the crash) that the relatives of the deceased were so disturbed at the pace & integrity of the investigation, that they had requested a meeting with (then) PM Goh Chok Tong. Apparently he refused such a meeting.

Post #20

Watching that cornerstone of aviation fact, Air crash Investigation (note sarcasm), the program postulates that other factors were responsible citing evidence such as similarities between SA 185 and UA 585 rudder hard over, the fact that the FDR had been switching itself off in the preceding flights etc.
I had always wondered what the final analysis of this crash was. I recently saw the Air Crash Investigations episode that you were referring to. There was mention that the police investigated the pilot's apparent financial woes, but concluded that he was solvent at the time of the accident. So I thought what they had presented in this episode to be true and correct.

Post #22

The Parker Hannifin case was the one that PH had to lose in order to appease an important Boeing customer - SQ. PH planned to mount an agressive appeal to the finding but, to the extreme surprise of PH's attorneys, the appeal was dropped. Blame politics at the time but PH's attorneys certainly wanted to proceed.

One of the plaintiff's attorneys in the PH court case appeared in the Nat Geo documentary on MI 185. He lost considerable credibility when he referred to the B737 fuel dump system. It doesn't have one.
If that's the case then all credibility has been lost.

Post #5

Agreed. His Mt Erebus write-up was excellent too... if you can get your hands on it, do so.
Erebus appears in Vol 2. The Introduction to this volume is written by Gordon Vette, which is also well worth reading. Now there's a man with integrity.