PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erebus 25 years on
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2008, 00:12
malcolmyoung90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ampan,
Your post #314.

Another exec pilot (who was an ALPA rep at the time) was alleged to have collected documents from the F/O's house and then destroyed them. Morrie Davies was alleged to have ordered the shredding of incriminating documents. And there was also the burglary allegation to which you refer.

None of these allegations were established before the Royal Commission. The Police investigated them. No-one was prosecuted.
I beg to differ on your comment. The removal of documents (these were briefing documents) from the Cassin household - this was not only established during the Royal Commision, but the person who took them, Captain Crosby, fully admitted to doing so up on the witness stand. Part of Anne Cassin's testimony is "I asked Captain Crosby to return the documents, but he refused". I will transcribe all this off the video if it will clear up some confusion.

True, the police never prosecuted anyone from Air NZ. But 2 teams of detectives seriously looked at charging some of the employess with manslaughter and perjury. I believe that Eden and Hewitt were their prime targets, but they had insufficient evidence to proceed with the charges.

Your post #324,

“Captain Gemmell was then cross-examined, at considerable length, by counsel for other parties. Many criticisms of the flight planning were advanced and it was interesting to see how the witness responded to the detailed and challenging questions which were addressed to him. The answers which he gave were unhesitating and positive. When possible, his answers were monosyllabic, and he seemed to treat the various counsel with thinly veiled contempt.”
Watching Captain Gemmell's testimony (this is relating to documents that went missing down on the ice), I was disturbed to see how evasive he was. The whole reason for the Commission was to determine why 257 died, and then to make sure that such a disaster can never be repeated. But his ultra defensive nature and evasiveness seemed to be in opposition to this purpose.