PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jeremy Vine show today...wearing uniform in public
Old 21st Feb 2008, 16:00
Romeo Oscar Golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been out of uniform too long to get hung up on this "debate" but was amused at a couple of the comments.
my last experience of wearing uniform in public around sunny Cheltenham resulted in my colleague and i being confused for local bus company reps!
Touché! Same happened to me in Stratford (the Bard's not Red Ken's) but I was in "Best Blue" and it was 1964.
When I joined nobody batted an eyelid to seeing someone on the streets, at the bank, in their local supermarket and (heaven forbid) even in the pub in uniform,
It's the "heaven forbid" quote that had me remembering the mid 70's at HQSTC, High Wycombe, when it was almost obligatory for all ranks, but mainly SNCO's and Sqn Ldrs to Air Rank to visit one of the local pubs for liquid lunch. A great place to meet the locals, and the only way to get through another unimaginably dull and purposeless afternoon. No hats, which was also the rule for all servicemen and women of all services whilst on the HQ site.
To come back to present I'm not sure that the wholesale wearing of uniform will change much for the grossly uninformed and predominantly uninterested public, but poorly presented, untidy and badly behaved uniformed military personnel will most certainly feed their misconceptions.