PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2008, 12:11
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's about time there was a passenger's charter in which incompetence of this level counted as a criminal offence. At the very least, BAA should be made to compensate passengers - say to twice the value of their ticket. And have a limit placed on how much they can increase their charges.

And other similar demands for compensation.

As far as I know a compensation regime already exists under the existing pricing controls which runs to 31st March. BAA pay - I think to the airlines not the pax -a rebate for failing to meet certain service standards which I would assume includes the availability of the baggage system. Or is it just when shops are not open? So I think the airlines trouser the rebate which no doubt take ages to agree, probably at least a year in arrears and the poor pax is just left out of pocket and with a sour taste in their mouths.

The CAA are currently consulting on the price controls for the 5 years from April and as far as I can find out are proposing the following

Increasing the maximum rebates for failing to meet service standards from three per cent to seven per cent of total airport charges revenues

Raising the standards that the airport will be required to achieve to avoid penalties under the service quality rebates scheme (in particular, in respect of security queues)

Broadening the scope of the service quality rebates scheme to cover additional key areas that were identified by the Competition Commission - not sure what these are.

Strengthening the use of capital investment triggers for agreed project milestones, where failure to meet a milestone would result in significantly greater financial penalties than at present.

There is also a proposal to reward BAA if they exceed standards, so I guess they won't be factoring too much income from this stream - unless the targets are unrealistically low. But I doubt this will be the case as the airlines and AUC have all been asked to comment.

Suzeman